Product Review – Advanced Power Inc.
For some time I’ve been giving thought to writing product for items that I feel would be of benefit to the prepping community and so here is the first one.
One of the key aspects of preparedness is the need for water, a phrase I use often is that it doesn’t matter what else you have if you don’t have water. I was doing some research for a client who is looking for an off grid means of providing water at her homestead and that lead me to a local company.
Advanced Power Inc. (www.solarpumps.com) is located in Weatherford, Oklahoma which is about an hour or so drive west of Oklahoma City. They are a family owned company having been in business since 1988. That experience shows through in their customer service and product quality. All of their parts are made in the USA with many of the various pieces of equipment manufactured on site at their facility.
I sat down with Scott Miosi to get the particulars on the Advanced Power Inc. product line in particular a kit that they offer that I found quite interesting. The package was put together specifically for preppers.…
I had the pleasure of being interviewed by Joyce Pierce as part of her show on the Preparedness Radio Network. Here is the link to the interview. http://tinyurl.com/nwupcou…
The storms that have ravaged parts of the country serve as a reminder of several important tips to remember
1. Have an out of state contact person that you can text since calling can be difficult due to high volume. Texts go out on a different frequency so it is easier to text than call to let someone know that you are okay.
2. Have a grab and go bag packed and available at all times in case you have to leave home/work/your vehicle on no notice. This gives you some hygiene supplies, food, water, maybe a change of clothes, etc.
3. Be aware of past weather events that have occurred in your region.
4. Have a rally point (or more than one if possible) for friends and family to meet up at following an event.
5. Utilize social media to let others know that you are okay or what help you need.
We never want to have to use our preps or activate our personal emergency plans but sometimes situations occur that dictate otherwise. Plan ahead to increase your options.
Something that is part of preparedness that you may or may not have given much thought to is Leadership. I am a firm believe that leaders are made, it takes experience, making mistakes and people skills being combined to help turn people into leaders. How much experience do you have being in charge of others, hosting events, being part of a governance organization or system?
It is a proven fact that people will seek order in times of chaos. If you are the one being calm, collected and providing common sense direction when others are panicked you could be the one to save lives, prevent injury and property damage.
Leadership isn’t about the prestige of being in charge it is about being responsible for what is taking place and being the one who takes on the burden of it. Are you a leader? Not everyone is but if there is a significant event I firmly believe that preppers can be the cornerstone of the efforts to stabilize the situation by providing leadership, medical supplies, direction and planning, communication equipment, information and much more, especially if the event is wide spread and/or long term.
I urge you to seek out opportunities to take on leadership roles in whatever form you are comfortable with to start out at.
Major Announcement !! Southern Plains Consulting has partnered with Pantry Prepper to bring you the 2013 Oklahoma Preparedness Expo. It will be Saturday August 3rd from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and will be held at the Biltmore Hotel. We will be bringing you the largest prep expo that Oklahoma City has ever seen. Dozens of vendors and workshops on a variety of preparedness topics all day. Come and join us for the day, door prizes, networking, education and fun.
Visit www.oklahomaprepexpo.com for more information and make plans now to come join us.…
With the re-election of President Obama the surge in the sale of firearms and ammunition has hit unprecedented levels which has caused prices to skyrocket and shortages to occur. Many folks are buying weapons fearing the implementation of a new ban. Some of these people have never handled a gun before let alone owned one.
If you have been properly preparing for some time you have not had to worry about these shortages, however if you are newer to prepping please don’t jump on the “I have to buy it now” bandwagon. Yes there are shortages going on all over the country but that will change. I personally feel that it will be difficult for the administration to enact a meaningful weapons ban. This means that the prices will come back down to more realistic levels.
To me it is far more important to have food, water, fuel, medical supplies, etc. Now I am sure that someone reading this will think “how will I protect it if I don’t have a gun?”. Truth is the best defense against theft or a raid is keeping what you have your own business. Don’t discuss what you have, make sure your family doesn’t discuss it with others.…
I know that this list has been floating around the Internet for some time in various forms. Some of the versions state that this is the order in which items will disappear from availability following a major event. I personally disagree with that assessment however I do like the list because it does show a wide range of goods that it would be smart to have on hand if possible. I didn’t compile the list, I am sharing it so there is more good information out there.
100 Items that disappear
1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy…target of thieves; maintenance etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 – 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice – Beans – Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size.…